Home contractors in N.J. don’t need licenses. Meet the people who’ll change that.
- jsaban8
- 2 days ago
- 3 min read

By Karin Price Mueller | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Nine months past a deadline set by law, New Jersey finally knows at least some of the people who are being named to a new board responsible for establishing rules to protect homeowners from shoddy home improvement contractors.
The board, which was supposed to be appointed by July 1, 2024, will establish qualifications for a new license for home improvement contractors, as detailed in landmark legislation that was signed into law in January 2024.
Six of the nine board members have been selected, NJ Advance Media has learned.
They are:
Christopher Amato, president of the Shore Builders Association of Central NJ and president and CEO of CMM Custom Homes in Wall Township
Don Dyrness, a board member of the Metropolitan Builders and Contractors Association of New Jersey and owner of Main Street Custom Homes & Remodeling in Succasunna
Louis Padula, president of Padula Builders in Manasquan
Kyle Baptiste, owner of Next Level Remodeling in Marlton
Joseph Cipriani, president of Cipriani Remodeling Solutions in Mount Laurel
Ken Jobson, owner of Hawkeye Development in Edison
NJ Advance Media previously reported Jobson was recommended by State Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin, D-Middlesex, for the board.
The still unnamed members of the board would include two members of the public and one licensed construction code official, according to the statute.
“We respectfully decline to comment on pending appointments,” a spokesperson for Gov. Phil Murphy said.
Baptiste called serving on the board “a meaningful opportunity to help protect the integrity of our field and the people we serve.”
“I firmly believe our industry is in critical need of stronger regulation,” Baptiste said. “Far too often, underqualified individuals take advantage of hardworking families and that is something we must work to change.”
The other appointees didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
The board is tasked with setting the rules for the license, which became law after an NJ Advance Media investigation — Hire at your own risk — illuminated how the state’s weak contractor rules don’t offer enough protection for homeowners.
The board will fall under the Division of Consumer Affairs, which oversees the current HIC registration. Under today’s rules, contractors only must pay a $110 fee and show proof of liability insurance to do jobs that could cost homeowners tens of thousands of dollars. There are no requirements to show skill, experience or expertise, a great imbalance compared to the hundreds of hours of training required before a stylist can legally give a $20 haircut in the state.
The board will establish a code of ethics and standards for the industry and set education and experience requirements for the license. Some current contractors would be grandfathered under the law, but new professionals would need to complete a training or apprenticeship program, pass an exam to test knowledge of the field and related state law and meet other requirements to get the license. Importantly, all licensees will need to have a financial plan for when something goes wrong on a job, which doesn’t exist as a requirement today, often sending homeowners to small claims court to address complaints.
Coughlin, who recommended Jobson for the board, called the contractor license “critical” to safeguard homeowners in the state.
“We are creating a system that prioritizes consumer protection and raises the bar for contractors statewide,” Coughlin said.
It’s expected to take years before the license requirements are finalized and contractors have dates or deadlines with which they must comply, so before you hire a contractor, make sure they have a current HIC registration. You can check that at njconsumeraffairs.gov or by calling (800) 242-5846.
Comments